Thursday, April 2, 2009

Shrek and Other Heroes

My daughter Ayla can't get enough of Shrek. Her 30 minutes of television a day is always Shrek. Despite having 100s of different toys in her playroom, Ayla always chooses her Shrek figures (Shrek, Fiona, Donkey, Puss, etc) that we got for her off of eBay (they were the 2007 McDonald's kid's meal toys). She makes Shrek and Fiona kiss. If Ayla farts, she says "SHREK!" and giggles, because he passes gas in the movie. At bathtime she says "Shrek," because he takes a bath in mud. Ayla tries to pull ear wax out of her ear whenever she sees a candle. When my daughter is not feeling well the only thing she wants to do is curl up in my lap and watch Shrek. Shrek is her hero. And I wonder how long it will last until a new figure takes his place in her eyes.


Although my memory doesn't stretch back to when I was a toddler, I can remember the many characters from books that I treasured as a child. I had several favorite books that I read over and over again for many reasons, not just for the character. But a few books I cherished had characters who became my heroes/heroines...


My Father's Dragon (by Ruth Stiles Gannett) starring Elmer Elevator inspired me to be an explorer through his adventures on Wild Island.

Little Women (by Louisa May Alcott) offered not just one heroine but four for me to look up to and admire. While Jo March was probably the one I wanted to be the most, because she was a writer, I liked all of the girls and hoped to be like them one day.

Island of the Blue Dolphins (by Scott O'Dell) gave me a heroine, Karana, who taught me courage and strength by living alone on an island for 18 years.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (by Elizabeth George Speare) was read so many times by me that the pages of my book are held together by a big clip now. Kit Tyler defied societal norms and faced the challenges of a new environment, which inspired me to seek out my own destiny.

Pride and Prejudice (by Jane Austen) taught me a lot about different characters and how a hero or heroine may arise from an unusual family or lifestyle. Elizabeth's intelligence and humility taught me how I wanted to live my life.

Clan of the Cave Bear (by Jean M. Auel) is the story of a woman named Ayla. The fact that my husband and I named our daughter after this character probably says it all. I've lost count of the number of times I have read this series. Ayla is a very unique heroine because of the time period of the books. Her bravery, strength, intelligence, and compassion have inspired me through out my life.


Well, looking back over this short list I can see that I've mostly noted my heroines, but as a girl growing up I think this is who I related to and looked up to the most! I am looking foward to seeing what characters my daughter seeks out in literature and how they help her grow and develop into the woman she'll be one day. For now, her preference is Shrek and I'm grateful he makes her laugh, even if it's because Ayla finds his odd behaviors humorous!

Who are your literature heroes/heroines? How did they guide you in life?

2 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, gosh. That one is too tough for eight in the morning :)

I do remember LOVING A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

When my son was Ayla's age, the only thing he wanted to watch was Nemo!

Loren said...

Hi Kimberly,
Those are some great books that I remember reading back then too. My favorites were Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass both by Lewis Carroll. There were also several mysteries involving talking animals. The names were funny: Celery Stalks at Midnight and Bunnikula.I know I spelled that last one wrong but it was about a crazy rabbit. As an older child I became interested in biographies of famous people, and historical fiction.

My oldest loves Stuart Little (the book and movie). He's really into the Shrek game for Playstation 2. The princess likes anything starring Barbie and the baby is smitten with Thomas the Tank Engine.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs