As a writer-mama of a toddler with a second baby on the way, I'm more consciously aware of sleep cycles than I have ever been in my life. When my daughter's sleep cycle is complete and peaceful, then the following day is blissful! But if her sleep cycle hits a bump during the night, then watch out, the crazy, high-sprung, spaz of a wild beast comes out of my little Ayla! I don't even care anymore about the lack of sleep I get from being pregnant; all that matters to me is how well my daughter sleeps because it's so much easier on me if her sleep cycle is a good one.
Before becoming a mother, I was more aware of other cycles and their role in my life. I used to study the moon cycle when living in the rainforest, because I would hike through the rainforest at night without my flashlight and depend on the strength of the moon's shine to guide me. The habits of nocturnal animals changed during the course of the moon's cycle. My menstrual cycle followed with the moon's cycle. Even the wind seemed to follow the cycle of the moon's phases.
While growing up in the midwest I was more aware of the cycle of seasons. My absolute favorite season was/is the fall. Fascinated with the question "why do leaves change colors?" and "where do all the insects and birds go during the winter?" I couldn't get enough of the outdoors in autumn, especially when the smell of a fire in a fireplace diffused throughout the air from chimneys and the colors of leaves held the promise of snow and Christmas to come. But the other seasons were also enjoyed and I looked forward to each one for different reasons.
In addition to cycles of sleep, moon phases, and seasons, my experiences as a writer-mama-naturalist-teacher have taught me the importance of other cycles: tides, water, nutrients (carbon, nitrogen, oxygen), migration of birds and butterflies, metamorphosis, flowering/fruiting of plants, recycling of materials, human life cycle (and other organisms), and the writing cycle.
In my mind the writing cycle goes beyond the routine of writing a book (e.g., open notebook, read previous day's work, review outline, begin new chapter, complete new chapter, let chapter sit and simmer for several days, reread, edit/revise, work on new chapter...). For me the writing cycle encompasses my entire approach to writing, which involves journaling, blogging, reading, filling up notebooks with ideas/words/research/descriptions, attending conferences and workshops, observing, critiquing, and more. My writing cycle may be complete in one day, one month, or one year. But the concept of being a writer is complete when I get to participate in all of these activities over and over again as I become a better writer.
How important is our awareness of cycles in our writing? What role do cycles take in your writing pieces and the writing process itself?
1 comment:
I like your approach to the writing mother... and by the way, our household sleep cyles are WAY off today - 6 kids in the house with a sleepover and boy are we paying for it this morning!
Post a Comment