Saturday, March 28, 2009

Look At Me Mama

My 20 month old daughter thrives on getting approval and attention. Once a week we go to Gymboree where she runs, dances, bounces, and shouts for 45 minutes, all the while looking at either me or the instructor for our smiles, nods of the head, claps, and cheers. As long as we are watching her, Ayla is content. The more people she's showing off for the better. It is so cute, but also makes me feel a bit sad in a way, knowing that she craves love of others so much. As a military family, it's just my husband and me in her day-to-day life since our families live out of town. I think she needs people and I wish there were more people to regularly give her the attention she seeks.

As a writer-mama, I often wonder if I too shout out "Look at me" when it comes to my manuscripts. The query letters and cover letters I send out definitely are polished and try to grab the readers attention, but what about my manuscripts. Like my daughter at Gymboree, my manuscripts are full of energy, time, love, and joy. The rejection letters I've received for some of them are far from clapping and cheering, and that's okay. I reread the manuscripts, polish them up perhaps, and send them off again. But to keep my heart in my writing, to plow ahead with a new project with the same energy and heart I invested in previous ones, that is some times harder to do.

When I mention to Ayla that we're going to Gymboree, she immediately lights up and points to her hand where she will get a Gymbo the Clown stamp at the end of the class. When I think about writing or a project I'm working on, I too get excited and anticipate the moment when I can write. But at the end of the day, I don't have a cheery instructor stamping a "good job" stamp on my hand.

I'm not the type of person who cares what others think about me, but I do wish I could talk with editors who have rejected my manuscripts to know what was lacking in them. I feel like my writing would progress more if I knew; however, editors are swamped and understandably too busy to write personal rejection letters for each submission.

So it boils down to self-encouragement. I try to cheer myself on during the writing process by acknowledging that I've reached certain word count goals, finished researching for a writing project, spent time writing in my journal, attempted new writing that's outside the box, and completed a manuscript.

How do you encourage yourself during the writing process? What do you do to keep going with a strong heart and mind after receiving a rejection letter?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's one I'm struggling with, these questions you ask. As I'm reading over the latest issue of RWR and reading all about the downturn and how more selective publishers are becoming because of the economy, I start to wilt. So far I've had one rejection from an agent. It didn't kill me but it's only the other day a few months later that I've sent the piece out again for another agent.
It's so hard to not focus on how many thousands of queries they must get and a lot has to do with timing as well as the skill in the piece. But rejection hurts, especially when I feel like this is basically my baby these words I'm writing. I pour my whole self into it and for someone to say that's not good enough... Ouch.

I look forward to the day I can say I knew you when, way before you were this famous author. :)

Keep writing, keep sending, keep hoping. Sometimes it's all we can do.

And oh yeah, support our fellow mama writers too ;)

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, that's such a cute age! I miss it. Kimberly, you can send me a manuscript if you want. I am not an editor/agent, but I might be able to come up with some decent feedback for you.

K said...

I applaud you Andrea for reaching out to an agent. For some reason that is harder for me to do than sending out my manuscripts to editors, but I know I need to try to find an agent.

Corey, I'd love to start up a critique group with you and anyone else who it interested! I haven't ever participated in one online, so I'm not sure if there are certain steps to do that makes it easier for everyone. I'll try to look it up and see what I find.

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs