It's an awesome feeling to have a book so inspiring, so intriguing that you can barely wait for the moment when you can pick it up to continue reading it. A book like this impacts my mind and emotions far more than any movie has ever done. I think about the book all day long when I am not reading it. My body feels jazzed with a fast pulse of anticipation and my mind is restless yet content as I ponder the words I've read before I can get back to the book.
If a book can affect me so strongly, then does it alter or influence my writing?
Reading is perhaps the best way to learn how to write better overall; better grammar, better character development, better plots, etc. But if a book is so powerful that it puts your mind in a trance as you mull over the contents of the book when it is out of your hands, then perhaps it can weave its magic into your writing.
As far as I've been able to tell, my writing doesn't take on the voice of a book or methods of an author, but my fingers tap on the keys with more zeal and creativity comes a little bit easier to me. Reading a great book inspires me to want to write and to write better.
1 comment:
I so agree here! Reading an amazing book inspires me to be as effective, as insightful, as touching, as the author's words I'm reading. That inspiration comes along with me to the keyboard, adding even more satisfaction to the writing.
Post a Comment