Among the wonderful things my husband did for me on Mother's Day (cooking pancakes for breakfast, playing with my daughter, getting her down for her naps, grilling out for dinner, giving me flowers, wine and chocolate...yes, I like to brag about my husband!), he took me to a book fair sponsored by the libraries of Victoria!
Imagine a double gymnasium full of books! There were easily over 200,000 books on top of tables and under tables! And we could take as many as we wanted for only $4.00. It was the ultimate rush on my addiction to books; so overwhelming, my heart is still racing thinking of it! My thoughtful husband fortunately brought a bag for me, which not only helped me to get more books but it also limited my intake! I could have set up my tent in there and stayed for a month; reading jacketflap after jacketflap, skimming first pages, checking out publishers, tracing drawings and photos...
So while my husband flew a kite with our daughter outside, I jumped in among the mass of people and books and began fulfilling my craving. After two bags worth of books on rainforests, writing, poetry, and children's books, I decided I had to walk away. Like being at a casino and wanting to put your last quarter into a slot machine, I slowly browsed my way out the door.
Now our overloaded bookcases at home have piles of books in front of them! We even have more books in storage! Nevertheless, it was an amazing Mother's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment