Monday, May 5, 2008

Catching the Window of Time

In our struggle to get our daughter to become a better sleeper, I have read numerous books on sleeping. They all agree on one thing: there is a certain window of time (5-15minutes) when a baby is sleepy and can fall asleep easily before catching a second wind of energy. We're still trying to find that window of time. I think I've only caught it a handful of times as that is the number of times our daughter has gone down easily for a nap.

As a writer, I find there is also a similar window of time that is important to catch. This window, however, encompasses many things: timing in the market (what's hot and catching it), opportunity to write (even if it is while I am standing in a check out lane at the grocery store), completion of a manuscript (knowing when it is good enough), the first page of a manuscript (catching the editor's eye with only the first few lines, so they'll turn the page), and recording thoughts before they scamper off into the labyrinth of neurons in my brain.

Fortunately, if I miss the window as a writer my daughter doesn't cry and scream. I do, however, get a second wind that keeps me going until I can attempt to catch another window of time.

No comments:

Copyright 2011 Zook Book Nook | Designed by: NW Designs